Saturday, November 17, 2007

My Friends...

My friends...the ones I spend/spent a lot of time with over the past 10 years, I'm not talking about my friends in the blogosphere or friends I don't see as often.

The reason I say spend/spent is cause actually my circle of friends have diminished over the past two years.

Bob and Christina...they both passed away within a year of each other, way too young. I miss them both every day....both were different --I miss them both but Bob he was very close to me, watched over me and always was there to talk and laugh and be my coach in life. He'd give advice and praise and love. He was a very special man/friend to many of us that knew him.

Christina was special too but always somewhat searching for happiness...how I wish we could've given her the happiness she sought. She was sweet and loving, always trying to please and feed the whole neighborhood. She loved music as I do and she cherished family as I do as well. She loved music, dancing, reading and children. She would've loved Jesse Cook's music, I wish I had had the opportunity to share his music with her!

There are others we've lost as well John (he was with me) and Oliver (he was with Christina) but they are alive just not with us on the block anymore (they are missed and remembered when our neighborhood reminiscing begins).

My dear sweet friends that are still with me...

Wonderful, fun Cindy...she is so sweet and kind and loving. A woman that knows how to love and be kind and caring. She brightens my days with her smile and attentiveness. She is a very special friend that I love so much! I spend the most time with Cindy. Either leaving messages or on Saturday nights.

Gene...the overseer of the neighborhood, the brave one, the hero, always willing to help when called upon...such a big smile and a strength in our neighborhood. He really helped me along with Bob when my life was really in the pits, when John left. In the neighborhood, he can have a complaint about a neighbor and go and make friends instead! I think Gene kinda stays away now cause he misses all the guys. I wish he wouldn't. He has become a father figure to some in our neighborhood that need one, talking, fixing bicycles...really just making sure he is available to them. I don't think he knows how much it means.

Our neighborhood used to be the best of all neighborhoods..those of us that are left still love and care for each other in so many ways but there is always a sense of loss or longing for what had been. We partied on Fridays because the weekend had finally come, we barbecued on Saturdays and shared lazy Sunday afternoons.

I'd like to think that our neighborhood hasn't changed (although I know it has) all the memories are still so present in my mind. The laughing, the singing, the dancing...it never really leaves me...the old memories and the new ones that we make.

My goal isn't to be somber just to remember important people in my life and to cherish every day I'm given in this sweet, wonderful life.


No comments: